Have you been thinking about diversifying to increase your farm income? If so, consider joining the Pennsylvania Farm Vacation Association. The association is looking for working farms that are willing to offer overnight accommodations and recreational facilities to visitors. Farm vacations can be a substantial supplement to your present farm income.
As family farms disappear from our landscape, city folks are becoming increasingly interested in learning about the culture and tradition of the agrarian lifestyle.
In addition to income, farm vacations present a unique educational opportunity to promote rural and urban understanding. Visitors learn about the day-to-day farm operation and often help with light chores. Farm families, 'travel' and gain insight through cultural and life experiences of guests.
Members in PFVA leverage their membership dues to receive the following benefits:
* Networking opportunities with member farms at our semi-annual meetings. Meetings are rotated around the state at member farms. Although most of our member farms also belong to local or regional associations, farms face unique opportunities and problem areas that can best be discussed with other farm vacation members
* Each farm has a page on the association’s website, http://www.pafarmstay.com (If you have a stand-alone website, it will be linked from your pafarmstay page)
* Facebook presence
* The website was created, May 1997, and maintains optimum visibility
* PFVA rack cards are updated annually. Rack cards are distributed to state welcome centers, tourist promotion agencies, PSU extension offices, Pennsylvania Farm Show and fairs across the state. Each farm also receives a supply of rack cards to give to farm guests and local businesses. A PDF of the rackcard is available on the association website, pafarmstay.com
* Advertising for PFVA (listing our website address) in publications and on-line. A quarterly e-newsletter is also mailed to subscribers
* PFVA exhibits: PA. Farm Show, PASA Conference, Cornucopia/Capital Rotunda, Philly Food and FarmFest, Habitat ManheimTwp. Earth Day, PCO Farmfest, Bloomsburg Fair, Perry County FarmFest, PSU PA. Women in Ag. Network
* PFVA is a member of PA State Council of Farm Organizations
* Guest speakers at meetings provide insight and information about regulations in the industry, new regulations being discussed, and where to get questions answered
* Up to date information about PA. Agritourism