As family farms disappear from our landscape, city folks are becoming increasingly interested in learning about the culture and tradition of the agrarian lifestyle.
In addition to income, farm vacations present a unique opportunity to promote rural and urban understanding. City visitors learn to understand the day-to-day farm operation and often help with light chores. And farm families, whose chores keep them close to home, enjoy visits from city folks.
* Networking opportunities with member farms at our semi-annual meetings. Meetings are rotated around the state at member farms. Although most of our member farms also belong to local or regional associations, farms face unique opportunities and problem areas that can best be discussed with other farm vacation members
* Each farm has a page on the association’s website, http://www.pafarmstay.com . (If you have a stand-alone website, it will be linked from your pafarmstay page.)
* PFVA has a Facebook page, other social media presence.
* The website has been on-line since May 1997 and has good visibility.
* PFVA color rack cards are printed at no additional costs to members. Rack cards are distributed to state welcome centers, tourist promotion agencies, PSU extension offices, Pennsylvania Farm Show and fairs across the state. Each farm also receives a supply of rack cards to give to farm guests and local businesses. A PDF of the rackcard is available on the association website, pafarmstay.com
* Advertising for PFVA (listing our website address) in publications and on-line. A quarterly e-newsletter is also mailed to subscribers.
* In 2015, PFVA exhibited at PASA Conference, PCO Farmfest and in 2016: Philly Farm and Food Fest at the PA Convention Center, Phila PA, Manheim Twp. Earth Day Celebration in 2016 In 2017 “Know Your Farmer” section of the PA Farm Show in Harrisburg and a return presence was just signed on at the Philly Food and Farm Fest, April 8.
* PFVA is a member of several state organizations such as PA State Council of Farm Organizations.
* Guest speakers at meetings provide insight and information about regulations in the industry, new regulations being discussed, and where to get questions answered.
* Up to date information on the business of Agritourism.